Takeoff Construction is a construction procedure used in building airplanes or aircraft. It is the initial step of hauling steel structures from the ground to the desired height and then assembling them on top of each other with bolts, rivets and welds. The development of this process began with hot metal being shoveled into a furnace. The material would be melted by highly-pressurized air and injected into water, which acted as its liquid state medium. The liquid metal was then poured as “green” into a mould built for that particular shape. It would cool, become hard, and could be cut in any direction without breaking apart or losing its structural integrity.
What is Takeoff Construction?
Takeoff Construction is a construction procedure in which the pre-fabricated steel structures are assembled on top of each other by bolting and then riveting or welding them to achieve the desired height.
It is the initial step of hauling steel structures from the ground to the desired height and then assembling them on top of each other with bolts, rivets and welds.
Takeoff construction is commonly used for building skyscrapers. It has been used for many years because it helps save money in three main areas, namely:
1. Costs: Takeoff construction is cheaper than erecting a structure from scratch.
2. Materials: In non-metallic construction, once the structure has been built, all materials except concrete must be replaced with new ones (e.g., steel for its rebar and concrete for its foundation) after a certain period (usually 10-20 years). This can cost millions of dollars for even medium-sized structures. Aluminum and bolted buildings are more durable than welded structures, as they do not depend primarily on the welding process.
3. Labor: In non-metallic buildings, a large number of employees would be required to construct these structures (e.g., welders and machinists). It is best to have these employees pre-arranged and ready to start building.
Types of Takeoff Construction
Not all takeoff construction is the same. This is because the technology used to build these structures differs depending on whether it is built by a set of experienced builders or if it has been prefabricated (prefab) before the construction process begins.
The common types of takeoff construction are:
1. Structures built using prefabricated materials: These are constructed in factories or shops and then transported through roads to the area where they will be built.
2. Two-piper (or two-tiered) takeoff construction: This is a takeoff construction method in which the upper part is bolted or riveted to the lower one. It has been used in various industries such as automobiles and ships.
3. Single-piper (or single-tiered) takeoff construction: This is a takeoff construction method in which the upper part is welded directly on top of the lower one. There are no bolts or rivets used to connect them.
4. Welded takeoff construction: This type of structure uses welding only to build it, and not any other means such as bolts, rivets or welding links. The materials used for this form of structure are steel and aluminum .
5. Ballasting takeoff construction: In this case, materials other than steel and aluminum can be used to build the structure. A substance that fills empty spaces is added, and the structure becomes heavier than normal. This reduces the load that is applied on the foundation at each level, which in turn lessens the stress on each piece of steel.
Common Characteristics of Takeoff Construction
Construction Takeoff Program has a lot in common with conventional building techniques; however, it differs from them in several ways, especially when it comes to how its components are built. Here are some of its characteristics:
1. It is a prefabrication construction technique: In this case, components of the structure are built in a factory or a shop, and then transported to the desired location. This saves time and ensures that the structure maintains its integrity while it is being transported.
2. It can be used with any type of construction material: Takeoff structures can be built using different types of prefabricated materials such as steel, aluminum or any other kind of alloy . Each one has its advantages and disadvantages, which include strength (e.g., steel is stronger than aluminium) and weight (e.g., aluminium is lighter than steel).
3. It is a cheap way to build: Takeoff construction is much cheaper than building structures from scratch, as it requires less time and money.
4. It can be used in any season: You do not have to wait for a specific season in order to build such structures, unlike other ones that require a special environment or season (e.g., suspension bridge).
5. It is an eco-friendly method: As no energy is spent in the welding of these components, this form of construction helps reduce pollution .
Takeoff construction is a time-tested and highly efficient method of building large, complex structures. It can be used to build towers, buildings and other architectural wonders. It has several advantages over conventional building methods because it helps save time and money, especially on costs for labor and high-quality materials .
Takeoff construction has been used for many years to build skyscrapers. In the future, it will continue to be used in construction projects because of its efficiency and effectiveness.